Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wow... It's been a while...

A lot has changed since the last time I posted a blog. I'm in college now, and have almost finished my freshman year. All throughout my senior year in high school Anna and I were together for the most part. We did break up an absurd number of times though and the last on was quite final. I realized eventually that all the fighting was just not enjoyable. We just didn't work out together and neither one really wanted to admit it. But enough of that time for more profound life altering musings.

I’ve lost a lot of what used to be my friends since my senior year. I knew it was going to happen and was ready for it. What surprised me was not the number lost, but rather who was lost. A lot of the people who I considered my best friends a year ago I don’t even talk to anymore. Yet, the ones who I can say are my true friends were the ones I didn’t expect.

Three in particular spring to mind, but there are others. Two of them are away in Europe at the moment. (Although I think they may actually be home now that I come to think about it…) These two managed bolster their friendship over a single weekend when I came back to the cities and, on a whim, went to hangout. I had such a great time and wondered why the hell I didn’t do that more when I was in the same school as them. On reflection I guess the clichéd saying about having to loose something before knowing its true value is a saying for a reason.

The other person is one who I talked to almost daily but never thought anything about it. He is probably the least likely of my friends to carry over, but he is. He was on the football team with me and his locker was near mine, but that was about it. We never really hung out outside of the occasional school sporting event. I actually remember him signing my yearbook, not because it was long and heartfelt, but rather because it was so horribly generic and short. Now that we’re in college, we’ve hung out just about every time I was back in the cities.

When I came to college, I have to admit, I was scared. I knew all of three people, and had no clue where anything was. Luckily for me, my floor kicks ass. I am friends with close to all of them and good friends with about half of them. I am going to miss them all next year when I’m living in an apartment… :-/

No comments: